My Pictures of Santiago de Compostela

The weekend of August 30 (my birthday!) I made a trip / pilgrimage to Santiago of Compostela.

(30K)
434 x 645
The Cathedral is the sight of the tomb of St. James and has been the destination of pilgrimages across Europe for centuries.
(31K)
434 x 648
The Apostle James (the Greater) after being martyred in Jerusalem, was not allowed to be buried. To avoid the authorities, a group of disciples loaded the body on a ship, and 7 days later...
(38K)
434 x 648
Still today dozens arrive on foot every day making the same pilgrimage (here seen touching the pillar of the Church when they arrive). To be official one has to walk over 100 Km (62 miles) - I took the train.
(36K)
684 x 459
The port of glory at the entrance, with St. James surrounded by the choir of heaven. Other traditions say Saint James preached in Spain.
(37K)
429 x 646
The massive canopy over the already large high altar. (Notice how small the life statue of St. James looks just above the altar.) The disciple are said to have buried the body near a small fort a short distance inland.
(39K)
431 x 647
A closer view of the altar over the tomb, with a section of the canopy above it. The location of the tomb was lost until a hermit named Pelayo was guided by miraculous lights, hence the name "campo stella" - field of the star.
(40K)
434 x 648
The rear of the main altar, depicting the story of the transfer of the body of the saint, and how the hermit Pelayo informed the Bishop who confirmed that it was the tomb of the apostle. Soon a church and entire city were built around it.
(31K)
645 x 433
The tomb of the Apostle James in the crypt under the altar. (Where it was "found" again in 1879 after having been covered by the foundations of the 16th century Church.)
(34K)
434 x 648
This is a side view of the Cathedral's transept, where one also sees a little of the rope used for the giant incenser that is used at Mass. It swings the full width of the Church!
(31K)
429 x 650
Here is a replica of the "Botafumeiro", the giant cencer - it stands about waist high when sitting on the ground.
(45K)
716 x 480
A view of one of the side entrances to the Cathedral, with its facade and towers in the background. The Romanesque Cathedral was began in 1075, with many additions being added over the centuries.
(54K)
716 x 480
The same picture, only this time at night. The most recent additions are from the 17th and 18th centuries, including the clock tower, altar canopy, and the main facade.
(34K)
434 x 648
The other side entrance of the Cathedral, with the plaza and fountain.
(38K)
435 x 648
The clock tower of the Cathedral, as seen from inside the cloister.
(41K)
716 x 480
A view of the main plaza (Obradoiro Square) in front of the Cathedral as seen from a balcony of the cloister. The building to the right is the Hostel built by the Catholic Royalty to house the many pilgrims.
(59K)
716 x 480
In the museum of the Cathedral, a reconstruction of the original (completed in about 1200) which was dismantled in 1604 since it was too small.
(19K)
434 x 648
View of one of the Cathedral towers from inside the archbishop's palace which is next to the church.
(32K)
453 x 457
Painting of Our Lady of the Rosary in the museum.
(50K)
433 x 649
Although I spent most of my time in the Cathedral, Compostela has made other churches. This was the chapel of Saint Pelayo, a monastery of Benedictine nuns.
(51K)
434 x 648
Closer detail of the altar piece in St. Pelayo, where the sisters beautifully sing vespers each evening.
(26K)
434 x 648
The Church of the Pillar, set in a nice park.
(38K)
716 x 480
The hermitage / church of Saint Suzanna.
(41K)
432 x 646
View of the Cathedral from the park.
(41K)
720 x 482
Zoomed view of the Cathedral and its clock tower.
(26K)
650 x 431
View of the city as the sun sets.
(36K)
434 x 648
The Cathedral facade at night.
(32K)
434 x 648
The side entrance and clock tower.
(56K)
716 x 480
The spires of the Cathedral.
(20K)
430 x 649
A Church (dedicated to the Virgin Mary) and convent in the distance as I leave the city.
(18K)
650 x 431
A last view of the city.

Click on an image to see the full size photo

<-- Return to Photo Index Fr. Coulter's Homepage Good Counsel Retreat House