Books on Prayer, Virtues and the Spiritual Life
by Fr. Gary Coulter
A list of suggested Catholic resources for growing in virtue and one's relationship with God, through prayer and a deeper spiritual life.
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis [Purchase]
- The most printed book after the Bible, these meditations on the life and teachings of Jesus have been a guide and inspiration for millions, including many saints.
- Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis of Sales [Purchase]
- The classic text on how to live a holy life in a secular world - the truly devout life need not be one of complete withdrawal from the world.
- True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary by St. Louis de Montfort [Purchase]
- The genuine path "to Jesus, through Mary." Why Catholics are devoted to Mary and how that true devotion is to be lived out.
- Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade [Purchase]
- A simple and inspiring guide to the open-hearted acceptance of God's Will - how complete surrender to Him leads to serenity, happiness, and spiritual peace.
- Confessions by St. Augustine of Hippo [Purchase]
- An autobiography of sin and wickedness until his conversion to Christianity - an inspiring journey of hope through Christ and His Cross.
- The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux [Purchase]
- Her "little way" of spiritual childhood for achieving heaven is for everyone.
- The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila [Purchase]
- A celebrated work of mystical theology describing the different stage in spiritual development. A treasury of unforgettable maxims.
- The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila [Purchase]
- A guide to achieving a deeper spirituality, written for nuns yet helpful for laity as well.
- The Rule of St. Benedict [Purchase]
- A straightforward and sensible guide to the spiritual life that is still relevant after more than a millenium.
- The Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi by Brother Ugolino [Purchase]
- A collection of stories about St. Francis and the Franciscan Order. Learn not just the legends but the spiritual side of this great saint who yearned for holiness.
- The Cloud of Unknowing (Anonymous) [Purchase]
- This book of Christian mysticism contains practical advice on seeking union with God not only through knowledge, but through love.
- Other online Books, Talks and Articles on Spirituality from Catholic-Pages.com
- Includes links to some other greats like the Spiritual Life by Adolphe Tanquerey [Purchase] and Three Ways of the Spiritual Life by Fr Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange [Purchase].
Books for Sale
Deep Conversion / Deep Prayer by Fr. Thomas Dubay
- An excellent introduction to the spiritual life, with practical steps for overcoming mediocrity.
- Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom by Fr. Thomas Dubay
- A challenging look at the virtue of poverty and its demands on every state in life (married, single, celibate).
- Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay
- Simple yet profound fuide for growing in prayer.
- The Journey Toward God: In the Footsteps of the Great Spiritual Writers - Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox by Fr. Benedict Groeschel CFR and Kevin Perrotta
- Selections from masters of the spiritual life teach one how to open to God in prayer, respond and grow in a deeper untion with Him.
- Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel-On Prayer by Fr. Thomas Dubay
- A deep synthesis on prayer and the spiritual life, based on the writings of the Church's two greatest mystical doctors.
- Walk Humbly With Your God: Simple Steps to a Virtuous Life by Fr. Andrew Apostoli, O.F.M.
- Gives spiritual insights into Jesus' teaching to pray constantly and follow in the way of the cross.
- The Untapped Power of the Sacrament of Penance: A Priest's View by Fr. Christopher J. Walsh
- Experience reconciliation as a powerful tool of God's healing love, both interesting and practical.
- The Virtue Driven Life by Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R.
- Rediscover the 3 theological and 4 cardinal virtues, what they mean for modern man and how they apply in real (a whole and holy) life.
- Hungry for God: Practical Help in Personal Prayer by Ralph Martin
- Tools for entering into a more fruitful relationship with God through the gift of prayer.
- The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin
- A study of the spiritual life in the great Catholic tradition, based on the greatest writers, a source of powerful inspiration for the spiritual journey to God.